Aioli is a delicious sauce made with emulsified egg yolks and olive oil. It hails from the Mediterranean region of Europe and is mayonnaise’s sophisticated cousin.
While fairly similar to mayo, aioli typically contains higher quality olive oil and a strong garlic flavor. Once tasting a good aioli, it’s hard to go back to plain mayo. Because our mayo recipe uses olive oil, we can actually use it as a base for this smoky aioli recipe.
Enjoy it on vegetable crudité, boiled eggs, shellfish and (sweet) potatoes.
- 1 cup Paleo Mayo (see below)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tsp. garlic minced
- 2 T. tomato puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- To mayo, add smoked paprika, chipotle powder, tomato puree and garlic.
- Mix remaining aioli ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 cup light tasting olive oil
- 1 whole egg
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt.
- Blend with immersion blender until mayonnaise emulsifies.