AIP/Keto Apple Pie Bars/Crisp
- 2 T. coconut sugar
- 5 apples peeled, cored, and cut into small dice
- ½ tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground mace
- ½ cup tigernut flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 5 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tiger nut flour, arrowroot and salt, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the oil to the bowl, stirring or using fingers to completely combine (it will have a moist, crumbly texture). Add the water, stirring until combined.
- Press dough evenly on the bottom of the greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake at 350 for 5 minutes until starting to get a little color. Remove.
- In a large bowl, toss the apples, mace, cinnamon, arrowroot, vanilla, and sugar. Evenly spread this mixture over the baked pastry in the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes uncovered, until crust is brown. Remove from oven and cover with foil, return to oven and bake another 30 minutes until apples are tender. Cool and cut into 12 even squares.
- This dessert can also be made as an apple crisp. Simply put the cut up apples on the bottom of the 9x13 pan, cover and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and top with the crust mixture which you will sprinkle evenly over the top and bake for another 10 minutes.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/