Another recipe for our AIP Oyster Bar offering simple, clean and fresh ingredients. The sweet tartness of the fresh grapefruit juice against the deep ocean flavor of the oysters, the crisp of the celery with a little zing from the horseradish, yum! One of my favorites.
Oysters are packed with iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B-12. Some people may be intimidated by preparing oysters, but they are actually very simple to prepare. It is important to examine the oysters you have purchased. Throw away any that have broken shells. If you see one that is open, tap on the shell. If it closes that means it is alive and healthy. If it doesn’t close, throw it away! At the same time if you are serving Steamed Oysters and there is one that doesn’t open, throw it away!
- 1 dozen fresh live oysters in shell
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, juice and zest
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 piece of horseradish root, peeled and grated
- Using oyster knife, pry open the oysters and loosen meat with the knife.
- Discard top shells. Lay the oysters out on a serving tray over a bed of ice.
- Spoon a little grapefruit juice over each oyster a tiny bit of zest, some diced celery and a small grating of horseradish over each oyster.