Another simple preparation for your AIP Oyster Buffet, Lemon Basil Oysters can be prepped ahead of time. You can get all the ingredients prepped and ready to assemble at the last minute, better yet take all the ingredients from the all the cold oyster recipes we are offering and put them out and have your guests pick and choose what they would like on their oyster. Then all you have to worry about are the hot oyster recipes.
Oysters are packed with iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B-12. Some people may be intimidated by preparing oysters, but they are actually very simple to prepare. It is important to examine the oysters you have purchased. Throw away any that have broken shells. If you see one that is open, tap on the shell. If it closes that means it is alive and healthy. If it doesn’t close, throw it away! At the same time if you are serving Steamed Oysters and there is one that doesn’t open, throw it away!
- 1 dozen fresh live oysters in shell
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 2 T. fresh basil, cut into very thin ribbons
- Using oyster knife, pry open the oysters and loosen meat with the knife. Discard top shells. Lay the oysters out on a serving tray over a bed of ice.
- Using a teaspoon, place a bit of lemon juice and a few bits of lemon zest on each oyster.
- Top with a few strips of basil