Do you enjoy oysters? People either love them or hate them; there doesn’t seem to be much middle ground. Fortunately for oyster fans, they’re packed with iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, zinc and Vitamin B-12. Some people may be intimidated by preparing raw oysters, but they are actually fairly simple. It’s important to examine the oysters you have purchased, throw away any that have broken shells. If you see one that is open, tap on the shell. If it closes that means it is alive and healthy. If it doesn’t close, throw it away! At the same time if you are serving steamed oysters and there is one that doesn’t open, throw it away!
Oysters Casino is a classic dish that our chef has converted to be fully AIP compliant. Simple to prepare, serve hot from the oven and enjoy!
- 1 dozen fresh live oysters in shell
- 8 oz bacon
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 T. minced parsley
- 4 T. minced onion
- 4 T. celery
- Cook bacon until almost done and cut into 1” squares.
- In a separate pan, heat olive oil, add onion, garlic, celery and parsley.
- Cook until tender.
- Using oyster knife, pry open the oysters and loosen meat with the knife.
- Discard top shells. Lay the oysters out on a baking tray.
- Spoon a little of the onion mixture over each oyster and top with a square of bacon.
- Bake in a 450 oven for 10 minutes until oyster is fully cooked and bacon is crisp.
- Serve hot.