This dish is so tasty, I couldn’t get enough of it. There’s just something light and fresh about it. I would never have thought of adding apple to a shrimp dish but wow, it just works! The crisp apple, celery and cucumber along with the cilantro, lime and avocado is a winning, summery combination. Honestly it made me feel like I was on vacation. (I just need the NorCal margarita!)
Traditional ceviche originated in Latin America and has been a no-heat method of cooking fish for over 2000 years. Ceviche uses citrus juices to “cook” food and are typically made fresh. In our “ceviche,” the shrimp is pre-cooked to stabilize and make it last longer. This dish can be can be made ahead and safely held in the refrigerator until use.
Now, if you don’t follow an AIP diet you could add some diced jalapeño because I like a little heat but, honestly this dish is perfect as it is. Give it a try!
AIP Shrimp Ceviche with Avocado and Apple
This is going to be my go-to salad for the summer! Served over a bed of fresh garden greens, YUM!
- 2 lbs raw peeled deveined shrimp
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced 1/8”
- 3 avocados, removed from peel and diced ¼”
- 3 green apples, peeled and diced 1/8”
- 3 celery stalks, diced 1/8”
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 limes, juice and zest, plus another ½ cup lime juice
- 4 T. chopped cilantro
- 5 scallions, finely sliced
- 4 T. chopped parsley
- 1 T. sea salt
- Salad Greens
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil
- Add shrimp and cook for 2-3 minutes until just done.
- Remove with a spider and plunge into a bowl of ice water to prevent overcooking.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, salt, cilantro, scallions and parsley.
- In another bowl, place diced apples, cucumbers, celery, and avocado.
- Remove shrimp from ice bath and chop into ¼” dice.
- Add to bowl with vegetables.
- Pour dressing over it and fold gently to combine, being careful not to crush the avocado.
- Let sit for an hour for flavors to absorb into the ceviche.
- Serve over salad greens.
- Serves 8 as an appetizer.