This “ice cream” was patterned after a very popular flavor from Ben & Jerry’s, Cherry Garcia. Chef Ann’s creation is every bit as delicious as theirs without any flare-up causing ingredients. With one of these type ice cream makers (frozen canister) the possibilities are endless for AIP “ice creams”. One thing to be aware of, the ice cream melts really fast!
- 3 cups coconut cream (chilled in refrigerator)
- 10 oz bag of fresh or frozen cherries. If frozen, thaw before preparing.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of carob chips
- Set aside one fourth of the cherries, and dice or finely chop remaining three-fourths of cherries
- Place the whole cherries you set aside in a blender or food processor, and puree.
- Add all the coconut milk, vanilla and honey into the blender or food processor. Do not add chopped cherries or carob chips yet. Blend medium speed for about one minute.
- Stir in remaining chopped cherries into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into freezer bowl of an electric ice cream maker.
- When mixture starts to thicken, pour in carob chips.
- Churn ice cream until desired consistency.
Carob Chunk Cherry Ice Cream (AIP) – POTG Test Kitchen