While testing the cashew chicken recipe, I made it first in the crock pot, then on the stovetop. I prefer the stovetop method. It is quick to make and you have better control over the liquids. The crock pot tends to water down the sauce.
This recipe uses Paleo Ketchup. Don’t let it scare you off. It takes about 5 minutes to make and can be stored for several weeks in the fridge.
To make quick work of preparing the ginger and garlic, blend them for a few seconds in a Magic Bullet, blender, or food processor.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs - 2 1/2-3 pounds
- coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- roasted, unsalted cashews - 1 cup
- cauliflower - 1 head, trimmed and cut into large pieces
- coconut aminos - 1/2 cup
- coconut vinegar - 1/4 cup
- paleo ketchup - 1/4 cup
- raw honey, warmed to a liquid state - 2 Tbsp
- garlic cloves - 2, minced
- fresh ginger root - 1 tsp, grated
- crushed red pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Warm coconut oil in a large, deep skillet or stock pot over medium-high heat. Brown chicken for about 3 minutes on each side.
- While the chicken cooks, pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it is a rice-like consistency. Transfer it to a microwaveable glass dish and add about 1 Tbsp water. Cover it and cook on high for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Keep warm.
- When chicken is browned, carefully drain the liquid from the pan.
- Add half of the sauce (about 1/2 cup) to the chicken and stir to combine. Cover skillet and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add cashews and the rest of the sauce. Stir to combine. Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Allergens: Nuts