Chili Dog Casserole
Homemade chili and bratwurst are baked to perfection. Get all the flavors of the classic chili dog, without all of the guilt.
- medium yellow onion - 1/2, diced
- grassfed ground beef - 1 pound
- bulk Italian sausage - 1 pound
- diced tomatoes with their juices - two 14.5 ounce cans
- frozen green, yellow, and red bell pepper strips - 14 ounce bag
- chili powder - 2 Tbsp
- paprika - 1 tsp
- ground cumin - 1 tsp
- garlic powder - 1 tsp
- bay leaf - 2
- tomato sauce - 15 ounces
- ground cayenne pepper - 1/2 tsp
- bratwurst sausages - 4 (1 pound)
- butternut squash - 4 cups, shredded
- avocado - 3
- lime - 1, juiced
- black olives - sliced
- sea salt - to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Saute onion, ground beef, and sausage in a medium saucepan or skillet until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining chili ingredients to the pan, stir, and simmer on low for an hour or more. Alternately, transfer the meat mixture to a crock pot, add the chili ingredients, and cook on low for a couple of hours.
- Cut bratwurst crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Add fat of your choice to a skillet and brown bratwurst on both sides. I let mine cook for a couple of minutes on each side until they developed a nice crust.
- Shred squash using a food processor (or a hand grater if you've got some extra time). Saute squash in a large skillet with 1 Tbsp of fat. Transfer to a square baking dish and press down firmly.
- Top with bratwurst medallions, arranged in a single layer.
- Scoop about 7 cups of chili over the brats, reserve the rest for another use.
- Bake casserole for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- While casserole rests, combine avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Scoop casserole into shallow bowls and top with avocado mixture.
Paleo on the Go http://blog.paleoonthego.com/
Scope them out for great paleo resources, meal plan ideas, and tasty recipes!