It was not too difficult to make, and makes for a great weekend meal. I served these with sauteed asparagus on the side. The kids loved them!
Crispy Chinese Orange Glazed Chicken Thighs
Write a review
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 1 cup plus 2 TBS arrowroot flour
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1 TBS sesame seeds
- 1 cup of chicken stock (homemade chicken broth)
- juice from 2-3 large oranges (about 3/4 cup of juice)
- 1 TBS orange zest
- 1/4 cup raw honey melted
- 1/3 cup of coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 TBS fresh ginger root minced
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Whisk all of the above ingredients together and in a large bowl marinade the (2) pounds of chicken thighs with 1 cup of the marinade for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Place remaining marinade in a medium sized saucepan on the stove. *This will be used to form the glaze at the end.
After chicken in done marinating, drain it and toss the marinade
- heat the 1 cup of coconut oil in a large pan over med/high. Dredge the chicken first in the beaten egg, and then in the (1) cup of arrowroot flour
- I cooked only 2 thighs at a time because you do not want them over-crowded in the hot oil. Cook until both sides are golden brown and crispy, and chicken is no longer pink in the middle. It will take approx 5-7 min per side.
- While chicken is cooking try to ignore the big mess in the kitchen, and focus on the glaze!
- For the glaze heat up remaining marinade over med. low until it starts to bubble. Whisk remaining 2 TBS of arrowroot powder with 1/4 cup of water and add to the marinade. This will thicken it to a nice glaze. Stir until thick and bubbly, remove from heat.
Now just drizzle the glaze over the fried chicken, and sprinkle with scallions and seseme seeds
- Enjoy your chicken and THEN clean the kitchen. Or make someone else do it.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/
Check her site out for great ideas and yummy recipes! 🙂