Spaghetti and Meatballs
A classic Italian dish, made with classic paleo ingredients. Our paleo spaghetti and meatballs is made from pastured pork, grass fed ground beef and we use spaghetti squash instead of pasta noodles, to make our gluten free version of spaghetti and meatballs.
- 1-2 spaghetti squash depending how big
- 1 egg, pastured
- 1lb grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 lb pastured pork
- 24 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise. Place face down on lined baking sheet. Bake 45mins, check. Should pierce easily with a knife.
- With tongs, flip squash over and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out seeds. Set aside. Turn oven down to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, 1/2 of diced onion, 1/2 of minced garlic, egg, almond flour, 1/2 of the basil, 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Cover and let sit in fridge.
- Meanwhile, heat some olive oil in a sauce pan. Add the rest of the onion, sprinkle of salt and sauté until soft.
- Add in garlic, tomatoes, and other half of basil. Let simmer 15-20 min. Taste for seasoning.
- While simmering, remove the meatball mixture from the fridge and form into equal sized balls.
- Heat a sauté pan with a swirl of olive oil. Once hot, sear the meatballs. Place on a lined sheet pan. Bake in oven approximately 12-18 minutes depending on how large you made your meatballs.
- Using a fork, shred the squash into spaghetti-like tendrils. Place in a sauté pan, drizzle some olive oil and add sea salt. Keep warm here until meatballs are ready.
- Place cooked meatballs on a pile of squash and top with your marinara. Enjoy!
Paleo on the Go http://blog.paleoonthego.com/