Eggs Florentine, my favorite breakfast…. I can eat smoked salmon every day….. and I love it all combined and stacked together like this. The “bread” is optional and I have often made this without it.
But FYI….. though I have noted “gluten-free English muffin” in this recipe – I am not particularly thrilled with what is available on the market, particularly if you are following a grain-free lifestyle… I personally do typically skip it unless I make my own… as I have here. I am reworking/re-testing my recipe for a grain-free/paleo English muffin and I’ll be sharing this recipe this week on my Facebook page.
In the meantime, here is the recipe for the rest!
- 8 pastured eggs, poached
- 1 large bunch of spinach, washed
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz wild caught smoked salmon
- Sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Hollandaise Sauce (recipe below)
- Gluten-free bread/English muffin (optional)
- 2 pastured egg yolks
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Juice of 1/2 small lemon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon water (if needed)
- In a large pot sauté garlic in olive oil over medium low heat for 5 minutes until soft. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the sautéed spinach over the English muffin. Top with smoked salmon, poached egg and hollandaise.
- Beat egg yolk with the lemon until thickened and almost doubled in size.
- In a double boiler OR metal mixing bowl set over gently simmering water (without touching the water), heat the egg yolks, whisking frequently so that they do not scramble. Drizzle in the melted butter, whisking continuously until all the butter has been incorporated. Whisk until sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and add the cayenne. Continue whisking, adding a little water to thin sauce if needed.