What is Bulletproof Coffee?
I’ve always drank my coffee black, personally, because I LIKE coffee, but my husband was a non-dairy, sugary creamer user. When we went paleo that was by far the hardest thing for me to take from him. Until, that is, I discovered the “Bulletproof Coffee” craze.
Let’s start at the Beginning
Boost Your Brain!
Butter itself (REAL BUTTER FROM GRASS FED COWS) has lots of health benefits, including:
- Butter is rich in the most easily absorbable form of Vitamin A necessary for thyroid and adrenal health.
- Contains lauric acid, important in treating fungal infections and candida.
- Contains lecithin, essential for cholesterol metabolism.
- Contains anti-oxidants that protect against free radical damage.
- Has anti-oxidants that protect against weakening arteries.
- Is a great source of Vitamins E and K.
- Is a very rich source of the vital mineral selenium.
- Saturated fats in butter have strong anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties.
- Butter contains conjugated linoleic acid, which is a potent anti-cancer agent, muscle builder, and immunity booster
- Vitamin D found in butter is essential to absorption of calcium.
- Protects against tooth decay.
- Is your only source of an anti-stiffness factor, which protects against calcification of the joints.
- Anti-stiffness factor in butter also prevents hardening of the arteries, cataracts, and calcification of the pineal gland.
- Is a source of iodine in highly absorbable form.
- Is a source of quick energy, and is not stored in our bodies adipose tissue.
- Cholesterol found in butterfat is essential to children’s brain and nervous system development.
- Contains Arachidonic Acid (AA) which plays a role in brain function and is a vital component of cell membranes.
- Protects against gastrointestinal infections in the very young or the elderly.
Coconut Oil, too, has a tremendous amount of health benefits, including fat loss and better brain function (to name a few):
- Combination of Fatty Acids With Powerful Medicinal Properties. Coconut oil is one of the richest sources ofsaturated fat known to man, with almost 90% of the fatty acids in it being saturated. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil are metabolized differently. They go straight to the liver from the digestive tract, where they are used as a quick source energy or turned into so-called ketone bodies, which can have therapeutic effects on brain disorders like epilepsy and Alzheimer’s.
- Coconut Oil Can Increase Your Energy Expenditure, Helping You Burn More Fat. The medium chain triglycerides in coconut oil have been shown to increase 24 hour energy expenditure by as much as 5%, potentially leading to significant weight loss over the long term.
- The Lauric Acid in Coconut Oil Can Kill Bacteria, Viruses and Fungi, Helping to Stave Off Infections
- Coconut Oil Can Kill Your Hunger, Making You Eat Less Without Even Trying. The fatty acids in coconut oil can significantly reduce appetite, which may positively affect body weight over the long term.
- The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Are Turned into Ketones, Which Can Reduce Seizures
- Coconut Oil Can Improve Blood Cholesterol Levels and May Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease. Coconut oil is loaded with saturated fats, which actually do not harm the blood lipid profile like previously thought. Studies in both humans and rats show that coconut oil improves important risk factors like Total, LDL and HDL cholesterol, which may translate to a reduced risk of heart disease.
- The Fatty Acids in Coconut Oil Can Boost Brain Function in Alzheimer’s Patients. Studies show that the fatty acids in coconut oil can increase blood levels of ketone bodies, supplying energy for the brain cells of Alzheimer’s patients and relieving symptoms.
- Coconut Oil Can Help You Lose Fat, Especially The Dangerous Fat in Your Abdominal Cavity. Given that coconut oil can reduce appetite and increase fat burning, it makes sense that it can also help you lose weight. Coconut oil appears to be especially effective in reducing abdominal fat, which lodges in the abdominal cavity and around organs.This is the most dangerous fat of all and is highly associated with many Western diseases.
Primal Egg Coffee
“Egg yolks are baby bird building blocks. They contain everything you need to build an entire working animal from scratch – all the vitamins, minerals, protein, and fatty acids that make life work. And, if you get a pastured egg – which you should if you know what’s good for (and your omelets) – your yolk will be supercharged, with extra choline, vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin K2, omega-3 fats, vitamin D, and beta-carotene from all the bugs and greens the chickens ate.”
Coffee Blocks Product Review:
So fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when we started talking to Chad, over at Coffee Blocks. Chad sent us some samples. Guess what? Coffee Blocks has created a way for you to take your coffee on the road. Their recipe is a kicked up version of the Bulletproof concept and includes Sisson’s egg yolks:
Ingredients: Organic Instant Coffee, Organic Coconut Oil, grass fed butter, free range egg yolks and organic vanilla.
Over the past several weeks, Dave and I have enjoyed the Coffee Blocks here in the office, but the BEST thing was flying to Los Angeles last Friday morning at 6:00 am when I took my coffee with me! All I needed was hot water! It was awesome.
I was skeptical that instant coffee was going to be tasty, the thought of instant coffee reminds me of my grandmother and her Folgers crystals that didn’t fully dissolve… ewww. That said, I was very pleasantly surprised that the Coffee Blocks fully dissolved and made for a hot, buttery, creamy, delicious morning coffee that held me over for my 5 hour flight beautifully.
Your coffee blocks order includes a complimentary portable frother, also very awesome, yet even without it, my morning cup of Joe was satisfying and delicious and EASY.
This week, we are also giving away to one lucky entrant in our contest (located here), a 12 pack of Coffee Blocks and a Top Seller Sampler Pack of Paleo On The Go favorites!
You can purchase your own Coffee Blocks here.
Let us know if you try them, what you think. Also, we’d love your favorite coffee (or tea) concoction recipes. Leave them in the comments below!
For the record, I prefer Green Tea in the mornings and I add my butter, MCT oil (I like the Upgraded Self Brain Octane) and grass-fed bone gelatin right into my tea these days.