Finally, a flatbread recipe without all of the gluten. Coconut flour is used in place of traditional flour, making this a paleo favorite. The recipe was created by The Domestic Man– Russ just released a great cookbook as well! We understand that everyone’s body is different and reacts differently to every food.
Grain Free Flatbread
- 1 1/2 cups tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (olive oil, lard, ghee)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- olive oil for drizzling
- sea salt flakes or kosher salt for sprinkling
- 1. Place a pizza stone, cast iron skillet, or heavy duty baking sheet in the oven, and preheat it to 500F. Place the tapioca starch in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- 2. As the oven heats, add the coconut milk, oil, and salt into a small pan and heat over medium heat until just about to boil, then pour it into the mixing bowl. Mix with a spoon until incorporated into the starch, then set aside for five minutes to cool.
- 3. Add the nutritional yeast, half of the rosemary, and the oregano and white pepper to the dough, then knead together to incorporate everything. Carefully remove the hot pizza stone from the oven, then (again, carefully!) spread the dough over the stone, to about 1/4? thickness. It doesn’t have to be pretty. Drizzle a little olive oil over the dough and sprinkle on the remaining rosemary, then place in the oven. Bake until crispy and firm to the touch, 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Drizzle with more olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt flakes; slice and serve.