Every year, people seem to go crazy over Girl Scout Cookies. For one reason or another, you may be searching for a way to enjoy the Samoa cookies, which are full of coco-nutty, chocolatey, “caramelly” goodness, without all of the junk that’s found in the conventional version. Now you can with our awesome paleo samoa cookies recipe.
The Samoas with Real Ingredients
Whether it’s an allergy or a personal choice that keeps you from indulging in the boxed variety, these cookies are full of real food ingredients without sacrificing any of the authentic flavor. Enjoy these ‘Samoas’ anytime of year! It’s a great recipe to make with kids!
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a food processor, pulse the walnuts and coconut together until it is fine and crumbly. Add in the honey, vanilla, and sea salt, and process until a moist dough forms. Press the dough into a parchment lined 9×9″ baking pan. If the dough is too sticky to handle, use a little coconut oil to grease your hand to make it easier to press it down.
- 1 1/2 cups dates, soaked 10 minutes in hot water to soften
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Toast the coconut at 350 for 5-8 minutes or until golden. Allow it to cool while you make the topping.
- Drain the soaked dates and pulse in a food processor until a paste forms. Add the coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt, and process until smooth. Add the coconut and pulse again until just combined. Scoop out the coconut topping mixture, and spread it evenly across the top of the base. Using a cookie cutter, cut into desired shapes, lay out on a tray lined with parchment, then transfer to the freezer for 15
- minutes, or until set.
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Stir chips in a double boiler over simmering water until fully melted. Remove the cookies from the freezer, and using two forks to hold the cookie, dip each into the chocolate to coat the bottom. Once dipped, transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and repeat the process with each cookie. When all the cookies are dipped, transfer the remaining chocolate to a plastic piping bag, snip the tip off, and drizzle the chocolate over the bars. Return to the freezer for 15 minutes to set the chocolate, then transfer to an airtight container and store leftovers in the freezer.