You probably thought you would never be able to tolerate the classic stuffed cabbage rolls since beginning an AIP lifestyle. Well if you did, you have lost that bet. We have recreated that dish using our Nomato Sauce in place of the tomato sauce, and riced cauliflower in place of the rice that is traditionally used. After removing the cabbage rolls from the pot you thicken the sauce and juices left right in the Instant Pot. Serve by ladling some of the thickened sauce over the cabbage roll and enjoy!
- 1 cup cauliflower rice (raw)
- 1 large head cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 2 cups POTG Nomato Sauce
- 2 T. arrowroot powder
- Fill a large deep pot half full of water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the core from the cabbage and place it, core side down, in the boiling water. Cover and let the head of cabbage boil for 7-8 minutes. Remove the softened outer leaves and place them on a plate to cool. Cover the pan and cook the cabbage for 6-8 minutes, checking and removing the outer leaves as they soften, placing them on the plate to cool. When you get down to the center of the cabbage and the leaves are too small for rolls, cover the pan and cook the cabbage until crisp-tender. When done, remove the cabbage from the heat, coarsely chop it and set it aside.
- For the filling, in a large bowl, then stir in the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and cauliflower rice. Add the ground beef and mix with a wooden spoon or your hands until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Lay one of the cabbage leaves flat on a work surface with the stem end in front of you. Take 2 generous tablespoonfuls of the filling and place it at the bottom of the cabbage leaf. Fold the 2 sides in and roll away from you, making sure filling stays in the center and away from the top edge, until you reach the top of the leaf.
- Place the rack in the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Pour in 1 cup bone broth.
- Place 7-8 cabbage rolls on the rack. Cover the rolls with about 1/3 of the sauce.
- Add a second layer of rolls to the pressure cooker, alternating the direction of the second layer. Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the rolls.
- After adding the last bit of sauce, take a plastic spatula and gently go around the outer edge of the rolls to allow some of the sauce to drip down around the rolls.
- Lock the lid in place, choose High pressure and set 18 minutes cooking time.
- When the beep sounds, turn off the pressure cooker, use Quick Pressure to release the steam.
- Gently remove the cabbage rolls from the pressure cooker to a platter.
- Select “Sauté” and bring the sauce to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot and cold water until smooth stir into the sauce and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Serve the sauce over the cabbage rolls.
Instant Pot AIP Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
It’s interesting that the brightly colored Nomato Sauce turns orange during the cooking of the cabbage rolls.