Kenyan Braised Ground Beef and Collard Greens Recipe
Write a review
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp each sea salt, cumin, coriander
- 1/2 tsp each black pepper, cinnamon, ground ginger, ground fennel seeds, turmeric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 bunch collard greens (about 8 leaves), stems removed, sliced into 1″ strips
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Be sure to prep everything before starting to cook; this is a relatively quick dish, so you want to have everything on hand when you need it.
- Warm the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat for a minute, then add the onion. Sauté the onion until softened, about four minutes. Add the chopped garlic and jalapeño and sauté until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the ground beef and seasonings, and cook until mostly done, about six minutes, stirring frequently so the ground beef doesn’t clump.
- This is the color you’re looking for – most of the pink has been cooked out.
- Add the collard greens and tomatoes, and sauté until the collard greens are wilted, about four minutes. Stir everything around carefully as it cooks – be sure to do this step gently so you don’t mush up the tomatoes.
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste by adding salt and pepper as needed, and serve immediately. This dish is typically served with a flatbread called Chapati, but we just enjoyed it on its own. Truth be told though, I bet these cauliflower tortillas from my buddy Joshua at Slim Palate would work perfectly.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/
Recipe created by The Domestic Man– Russ just released a great cookbook as well! We understand that everyone’s body is different and reacts differently to every food.
Check out The Domestic Man‘s points and make the decision for yourself 🙂