KETO-AIP Grilled Marinated Beef Heart Over Portabello Mushrooms
- 1 beef heart
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 4 T. lard, tallow or bacon fat
- 4 large Portabello mushrooms
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Rinse the heart well and pat it dry.
- Cut the heart open and remove any visible strings, arteries and blood vessels that may have been left behind; trim off all excess fat.
- Marinate the heart overnight in the balsamic vinegar.
- When you are ready to grill the heart, pat it dry once again, and sprinkle generously with salt on both sides.
- Cut the heart in half if necessary, so it fits in your pan.
- Melt the fat in a large heavy skillet set over high heat. Grill the beef heart for 5-6 minutes per side, or until a nice golden crust forms.
- You want 125 degree internal temperature for medium rare.
- Do not overcook the meat or it will be tough.
- Remove the heart to a plate, cover loosely with aluminum foil and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Slice thinly against the grain and serve over roasted portabello mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 375. Remove stems from mushrooms and rinse any dirt from them, then pat dry.
- Lay mushrooms out on a parchment lined sheet tray fin side down and brush with the olive oil, sprinkle with the salt and rosemary and roast for 15-18 minutes until tender.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/