Full disclosure: I’m addicted to cold brew coffee. I’m a cold brew evangelist.
In case you haven’t ever heard the term “cold brew,” a rapidly growing trend, let me explain what it is. First off, conventionally coffee is brewed at high temperatures for short periods of time which produces a bitter cup of brew in a matter of minutes. This is what most of us are used to.
Cold brew coffee not only tastes WAY better, it’s 67% less acidic than conventional coffee (according to a study by Toddy)
With cold brew coffee, on the other hand, coffee grounds are steeped sort of like tea, but in room temperature water for 24-36 hour. This method produces a rich, smooth, chocolatey flavor that pales in comparison to regular iced-coffee. Once you try this you will never go back.
Aside from flavor, this is PERFECT for those with a sensitive gut or trying to reduce acidic food intake.
- 1 cup freshly ground (coarsely ground) coffee beans (good quality)
- 4 cups cold filtered water
- Stir together in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- The next day place a strainer over another large bowl, lined with cheesecloth, and pour the brew through it.
- Serve over ice with coconut milk, almond milk and any sweetener desired.