The History Behind the Pizza Bagel
The creation of the first Pizza Bagel is often attributed to the New York Metropolitan area in the early 20th century because of the sheer amount of Italian and Jewish immigrants. Blending of ingredients between cultures often happens and the results can be great, as with the pizza bagel. Living a Paleo lifestyle used to mean no more bagels and no more mozzarella cheese, but not anymore! Of course, that was before our Yiddish Kitchen Everything Bagel.
Everything Bagel Pizza with Mozzarella “Cheese”
Above all, the Yiddish Kitchen Everything Bagel is exactly what you want — dense and savory, it is sure to satisfy your cravings. As with all our products, it is gluten and grain free! We have included recipes for a simple marinara as well as a realistic Paleo Mozzarella “Cheese” that tastes awesome! Get your pizza fix with this great recipe.
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 T. olive oil
- 3 T. minced onion
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- In saucepan, heat olive oil, add onions and garlic and sweat until translucent. Add tomato puree, salt and oregano. Simmer for 10 minutes to meld flavors.
- 1. Soak cashews overnight. Drain the cashews. In a high-powered blender or food processor, add 1/2 cup soaked cashews and the remaining ingredients. Blend on high speed for 2 minutes until smooth. It will be thin and watery.
- 2. Pour the cashew mixture in a saucepan over medium high heat. Cook for 5 minutes until the cheese forms into a gooey ball in the center. Stir constantly to prevent sticking. The cheese will stay fairly soft. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Split the everything bagel lengthwise. Toast lightly in a toaster oven or broiler. Spread a few tablespoons of marinara sauce over each half and top with slices of the fresh paleo mozzarella. Return to the broiler for a minute to melt the cheese. Remove and top with thinly sliced basil.