Paleo Cheeseburger Soup
I used to consider cheeseburgers to be a superfood. Here me out; they are a complete meal in one edible package. But alas, unless you are using whole, real food ingredients they may not be the best choice. That’s where this recipe comes in.
Cheeseburger Soup on Facebook Live
Did you happen to see the Facebook broadcast where Chef Ann made Cheeseburger Soup? It is super tasty and you can’t even tell that it is dairy free! Coconut milk and nutritional yeast give this soup the creamy cheesy flavors you’d expect in a ‘cheeseburger’ soup. The best part is that it is simple to make and pack into a thermos to take to school or work! It is also a great recipe for when you want a nice hearty bowl of soup on a cold wintry day. Furthermore, it would pair perfectly with our Southern Sweet Potato Biscuits and a salad for delicious paleo meal the whole family will enjoy.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1 T. chopped basil
- 1 T chopped parsley flakes
- 4 cups cubed peeled white potatoes potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder diluted in water
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and crumble beef until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In same saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, beef and broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix arrowroot powder and water.
- Add to soup; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in nutritional yeast, coconut milk, diced tomatoes salt and pepper; cook until heated through.
- Remove from heat.