We all know the smell. Whether it’s in the airport or the mall, the intoxicating blend of cinnamon, sweetness, and whatever they pump into the air (it’s not real, right?) seems to make all of us want to stuff our faces.
That said, many of us don’t indulge just because we’ve walked by. But, many of us do.
Wouldn’t it be great if there was a way to indulge in the same flavors without eating vegetable oil and refined sugar? It’s certainly not something you should eat regularly, “paleo” or not. But, this modified version is lightyears ahead of the traditional treat you see while you’re shopping.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 T active dry yeast
- 2 T honey
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1T apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup ghee, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 t.salt
- 2 T. arrowroot dissolved in 2T water
- 2T. vanilla extract
- ½ cup honey
- 4 ¼ cups cassava flour
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1 cup ghee
- 2 ½ cups coconut sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 4 T cinnamon
- 1T arrowroot
- 1 lb cashew cheese (see below)*
- 1 ½ cups coconut oil not melted
- 1 ½ cup honey
- 1 t. vanilla
- *Soak 1lb raw cashews in plain water overnight. Put in food processor and blend on high until a cream cheese smoothness is achieved.
- For dough, mix water yeast and honey together stirring until dissolved. Set aside.
- In large bowl put coconut milk and vinegar. Add ghee, eggs, salt, arrowroot mixture, and vanilla. Add yeast mixture and stir well. Add honey. Add flour and knead until smooth. Add additional flour if dough is too sticky. You want it to be soft, but not sticky. Roll dough out in between two sheets of floured parchment paper until 36 x 24 rectangle is formed. Mix together ghee, coconut sugar, honey and cinnamon and spread that evenly over the dough, roll rectangle tightly starting with long end. Cut 1 ½ “ thick slices and place on greased cookie sheet 1” apart. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Remove when golden brown. Frost when they are mostly cool.
- Frosting: mix together cashew cheese, honey, vanilla and coconut oil until thick frosting develops. Spread evenly over the rolls.