I used fresh rosemary and thyme for this recipe since that’s what I had on hand. Feel free to substitute your favorite fresh or dried herbs.
*To soak raw cashews, place them in a medium glass bowl. Add water until they are just covered. Allow to soak for at least an hour or overnight (preferable). Drain the cashews in a colander and rinse with fresh water. Use all of the soaked cashews for this recipe. The soaked cashews will end up filling more than the original 2 cups they did when they were dry.
Paleo Cream of Chicken and Herb Soup Recipe
- raw cashews - 2 cups, soaked* (see note above)
- water - 1 cup
- pastured butter - 2 Tbsp
- leek - 1, thoroughly cleaned, trimmed, and chopped
- fresh garlic - 3 cloves, smashed and chopped
- white wine (optional) - 1/4 cup
- chicken stock - 3 cups
- cooked, boneless chicken - 8 ounces, diced
- fresh thyme - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- fresh rosemary - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp (or to taste)
- Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leek and garlic and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and wine, stir, and continue cooking until liquid is evaporated, 3-5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken stock and stir. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium, add cashew cream, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth or use an immersion blender to blend until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Garnish with fresh rosemary or thyme sprigs.
Paleo on the Go http://blog.paleoonthego.com/
Scope them out for great paleo resources, meal plan ideas, and tasty recipes!