Gravy is one of those foods that’s traditionally so-almost-paleo it’s not even funny. It’s super nutrient dense; it contains stock or broth, and usually only contains a few other ingredients. Naturally, we felt it was necessary to develop a paleo gravy recipe that is versatile and doesn’t contain gluten.
Unfortunately, conventional gravy usually contains one problematic ingredient: wheat flour. It’s used as a thickener. Even gluten-free gravy contains corn-starch, which isn’t paleo-friendly.
Arrowroot, on the other hand, is acceptable on the paleo-diet and works great in gravy! Check out this simple recipe!
- 1 Cup of Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 tbs of arrowroot
- 1/4 Cup cold water
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme
- Dash of Salt (to taste)
- Bring stock to a boil on the stove.
- In the meantime, mix arrowroot with cold water to make a slurry.
- Whisk slurry into the stock. Bring it down to a simmer
- Add Fresh thyme And Salt to taste.