Just because your Paleo doesn’t mean you can’t bring delicious baked goods to holiday gatherings! Nutella just means “chocolate and hazelnut,” so it’s certainly possible to do a paleo version.
Paleo Nutella Pie
Nutella filling sits atop a crushed hazelnut crust.
Write a review
- 2 cups hazelnut flour
- 2 Tbs ghee (I used brown butter ghee for more flavor)
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in food processor until it forms a ball. Smooth into a 9 inch, well-greased pie pan into an even layer, making sure it’s not too thick. Bake in 350 degree oven for 8-15 minutes depending on your oven. It should be slightly browned and firm to the touch. Let cool entirely.
- 4 cups full fat coconut milk divided into 1 cup and 3 cups (you will have some pudding left over for snacking)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 Tbs grass-fed gelatin
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder
- 4 Tbs ghee (I used Tin Star brown butter ghee for a nuttier flavor)
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
Pie Filling Directions
- Heat 1 cup of coconut milk, maple syrup, and gelatin in a sauce plan over medium until dissolved. Whisk together as the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat. Place the remaining 3 cups of coconut milk into a blender with the vanilla, cacao powder, ghee, espresso powder, and sea salt. Add the hot coconut milk/gelatin mixture to the blender and pulse until mixed. Pour the mixture into the totally cooled piecrust. You will have some left over. You can pour this into ramekins. Place in fridge and let set. I like to leave it overnight for better slicing, but it could set up in 2-3 hours. Top pie with chopped hazelnuts and chocolate chips (optional).
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/