I love cheese. There, I said it. It is probably one of the hardest things for me to give up. Since coming to work at Paleo on the Go I have been amazed by our Chef and her “cheese” creations. She has recreated one of the greatest munchie foods ever, the Cheez-It. But, being Paleo on the Go this version we have to leave out the problematic milk and grains. What’s that you say, Cheez-Its with no cheese? Yes, you read that correctly, no cheese! Our “Cheese Its” are made with nutritional yeast to give them that unique flavor we all crave. The recipe is really very easy to make and I have only one bit of advice: make a couple batches because they are just as good as the original. We couldn’t stop eating them here in the office!
Easy Paleo Snack Time: Chef Ann’s “Cheese-Its”
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- ½ cup Otto’s cassava flour
- 4 T. OMGhee
- 3 T. nutritional yeast powder
- 1 t. sea salt
- ¼ t. dry mustard
- ¼ t. turmeric
- ¼ t. paprika
- 2 T. water, plus more if needed
- Process everything except water in food processor until crumbly
- Add water until a dough forms.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and put in refrigerator for a half hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Remove dough and roll out dough with a rolling pin directly onto a piece of parchment paper until 1/8” thick.
- Use pastry or pizza cutter to cut dough into little squares.
- Leave them on the paper, don’t move them around. They will come apart when finished baking. Poke a tiny hole in the center of each square.
- Put parchment onto a baking tray and bake cheese-its 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/