Coconuts are some of the world’s most important sources of nutrition. In fact, they’ve been so intertwined with humankind that they’ve evolved with us humans.
After decades of western culture demonizing saturated fats, coconuts are making a comeback- especially in the paleo world. One of the popular products made from coconuts is coconut milk. It’s simply the meat of the coconut blended with the “water” found inside. This process produces a decadent, tasty, milk-like drink which many enjoy on its own. It’s full of unprocessed fat, and for those in the know, it’s definitely a good thing!
Here are the top 5 benefits of coconut milk:
- Great for Losing Weight – A study showed that a diet high in MCTs (medium-chain triglycerides) resulted in more fat burning than a diet high in long-chain fatty acids.
- It Reduces Inflammation – Coconut milk’s MCTs have been shown to lower inflammation in the body, which includes arthritis and joint pain.
- High Nutrient Density – Coconut milk is high in vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
- Immune System Boosting – The lauric acid found in coconut milk has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties which can increase your ability to fight disease
- Fighting Anemia – Coconut milk provides about 22% of your daily iron intake.
Compared to your run-of-the-mil, industrial cow’s milk, this alternative choice is a no-brainer. Coconut milk contains none of the problematic lactose and casein that milk does.
Creaminess doesn’t have to come from a highly allergenic food filled with antibiotics and growth hormones. Watch this video where we use coconut milk to replace dairy to make “Cream of Broccoli Soup” without sacrificing any flavor as part of our “Replace this, With That” series:
Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe Made with Coconut Milk:
- 1 head of broccoli, florets only (reserve one cup florets for garnish)
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced for garnish
- 1 cup coconut cream off top of can of milk
- 1tsp garlic
- Sea salt
- Chicken stock
- Steam broccoli in chicken stock with onions and garlic until very tender, puree with immersion blender. Add coconut cream, salt.
- In plain water, boil broccoli and carrots until just cooked. Stir into soup puree.