Chicken salad is one of those dishes that seemingly everyone’s mom or grandmother has a version of, partly because children love it. At first it’s the classic with simply salt, pepper and mayonnaise. As children get older moms start adding ingredients like chopped celery, a little onion, and maybe some relish. Ultimately, as we grow older and our culinary tastes change we get more adventurous. You may order chicken salad at a restaurant that has grapes and nuts – yum! Our chef came up with this recipe using clean, real food ingredients. The apples add a nice sweet crunch while the dried cranberries a create a delicious tartness. We even give you a recipe for paleo mayonnaise!
Paleo Lunchbox: Chicken Salad Wraps
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- ¼ cup celery, finely minced
- ¼ cup onions, finely minced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup carrot, peeled and minced finely in processor
- ½ apple peeled and diced
- 4 POTG Tortillas
- Paleo Mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup light tasting olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 t. lemon juice
- ½ t. salt
- Crack egg yolk into bottom of small bowl or mason jar.
- Add lemon juice and salt then pour oil over the top.
- Immerse a stick blender to the bottom of the oil and turn on high.
- The mayonnaise will emulsify in 10-15 seconds.
- Mix the chicken, celery, onions, carrots, cranberries, apples and enough mayonnaise to bind. Taste chicken salad for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Wrap the chicken salad in paleo tortillas and add lettuce leaves.