Try Cashews in Your Paleo Green Bean Casserole
Thanksgiving is my FAVORITE holiday! I love having the family together to give thanks and enjoy a feast. A Paleo Thanksgiving isn’t any different. Turkey, veggies, cranberries, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes…yum! There’s plenty to indulge in without making yourself sick in the process. This holiday season you can stay on the Paleo wagon while also enjoying the classics. I created a Paleo-style version of the old stand-by, green bean casserole. Instead of canned cream of mushroom soup, I used cashews to create the creaminess of the traditional recipe.
Chef’s tip: I think one of the keys here is to blanch your fresh green beans for a couple minutes and then bake. I don’t like mushy green beans and this kept them crisp.
DIY Green Bean Casserole Recips
Fresh green beans are baked in our special cashew white sauce and then topped with gluten free onion straws. This is a holiday classic created to meet paleo standards.
Write a review
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cup raw cashews, soaked, save water
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 onion, sliced thinly for onion rings
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbs grass fed butter or ghee
- coconut oil for frying
- 1 egg
- 1/2-1 cup tapioca flour, add in dash of salt
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Soak cashews at least 2 hours. Blanch green beans in boiling water, then rinse in cold water. Set aside. Sauté onions in ghee until translucent. Add mushrooms, sea salt to taste, and cook until they release their water. Add in minced garlic and sauté for a few more minutes. Add in nutmeg.
- Blend cashews with the soaking water until smooth and the consistency of thick soup. Add cashew sauce to the mushroom mixture, then pour over green beans in an casserole dish. Bake at 375 for approximately 15 minutes.
- While baking, heat coconut oil in cast iron skillet. You need enough to cover the onion rings. Dredge ring in egg and then in tapioca flour. Fry in coconut oil until golden brown. Place on paper towels to drain.
- Serve casserole immediately topped with a few onion rings. Serves approximately 6.
Paleo on the Go http://blog.paleoonthego.com/