Once you understand the driving force behind the paleo diet you won’t simply be able to go back to your old ways of thinking. You will understand being paleo is more than simply avoiding processed foods and losing weight, it is about fueling your body through nutrition to boost immunity, find healing through foods, and minimizing chemicals and toxins in your everyday life. After discovering this more natural way of living, it would be difficult to turn back with the knowledge you now have.
Ways we live the lifestyle, walk the walk, as opposed to just talking about it here on the blog:
- We make our own deodorant using coconut oil and baking soda, you can try this recipe from mommypotamus, or pick up some of Primal Life Organic’s Primal Pit Stick
- We make our own household cleaners using the following:
- 1 part water
- 1 part white vinegar
- 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil
- We make our own laundry detergent using washing soda, borax, and Dr. Bronners lavender soap
- We use wonderful baby products from Sweet Knee. These products are fabulous, organic, and the owner, Kristy, is incredible to work with and takes such pride in all of their products which she uses on her own sweet family. Our favorites are their bun glaze and the bluebird castile soap.
- We use Earthpaste for brushing teeth and for hair care we use a combination of baking soda and apple cider vinegar, a system known as “no ‘poo” and it works for us.
Things we avoid in order to minimize toxins:
- We avoid disposable diapers and use cloth and we love it! No, seriously! We use a variety of cloth diaper brands and we love that they are so economical, adorable, helping to save the planet, and are not exposing our son’s skin to several chemicals and known toxins such as dioxins, sodium polyacrylate, TBT, and VOCs which you can learn more about here. We know disposables may not be for every family but for us it is a BIG way we avoid toxins.
- Chemical air fresheners. Instead we use distilled essential oils which can help with mood as well as getting the funk out of the air.
- Plastics as much as possible. We live in a pretty plastic world so for us it’s unavoidable all the time but we do make a conscious effort to drink out of glass on the go, I like Ello bottles I can get from Target for a reasonable price, and we use glass snapware for heating up our paleo meals at the office when we don’t have means to boil water. Paleo on the Go uses only BPA free packaging to package food.
There are many more ways we try to minimize toxins, these just scratch the surface but I hope they give you some simple ideas and encouragement that you can begin implementing today!
(BTW, even though I kind of wish they were, the links in this article are NOT affiliate links!) 😉