Tacos de Lengua, or Tongue Tacos are a classic Mexican preparation for beef tongue. The Instant Pot is a major timesaver here. Our version is Keto so no tortillas are used, just lettuce leaves. If you aren’t AIP, I would go ahead and add some jalapeño to spice things up a bit. Or better yet add jalapeño or Chipotle powder to the the pot before cooking, then some more diced jalapeño as garnish. Good luck!
- 1.2 lb grass-fed beef tongue
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups water
- Rinse tongue well and place in your Instant Pot.
- Add the onion, garlic, and salt in the Instant Pot liner.
- Cover with water.
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 heads butter lettuce, separated into leaves, washed and dried
- ½ cup sliced radishes
- Cover with lid and time it for manual 60 minutes high-pressure with natural release.
- Once the Instant Pot is completely depressurized, remove the tongue and peel it. The skin should come right off.
- Shred with a fork.
- To assemble, lay out a butter lettuce leaf, top with some shredded meat, add a slice of avocado, sprinkle cilantro, red onions, radishes and a squeeze of lime juice.
Paleo on the Go founder Dave Rohde about to enjoy a KETO/AIP Tongue Taco!