Have you ever had Mexican Hot Chocolate? Growing up from time to time my mom would make us some using these cakes of chocolate, sugar and spices that you whip up with steamed milk. Just thinking about the flavors of it brings back warm memories. That was the inspiration behind this “ice cream”. This “ice cream” is made with coconut cream, only the thick cream part from the top of the can. We save the coconut water leftover for other recipes. An unexpected ingredient in this dish is butternut squash, yes there are vegetables in this dessert! It enhances the creamy texture and adds sweetness as well. It is a great way to get extra vegetables in your kids diet, just don’t tell them!
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash pulp (chilled)
- 3 ½ cups coconut cream (chilled 12 hrs in refrigerator)
- 4 T. carob powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mace
- In a blender or food processor, puree the squash with 2 cups of the coconut cream until perfectly smooth.
- Add remaining coconut cream, carob powder, and spices.
- Chill mixture then pour into freezer bowl of an electric ice cream maker.
- Churn ice cream until desired consistency.