So good, but so bad
This is the processed cake treat that so many of us grew up eating, which we all sort of wish we hadn’t. For better or worse, many of us have nostalgic feelings for these little cakes.
We know no one should survive on these guys. But, we thought, why not try to recreate our old favorite snack in a way that’s not filled with gluten, preservatives, and artificial ingredients?
A Better Version of an Old Favorite
That’s exactly what we did in this recipe. We hope you enjoy this take on a classic! Sometimes it’s good to have a little fun within the paleo parameters!
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp. Sea salt
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup melted ghee
- 1 ½ cups honey
- 1 tbl. vanilla extract
- 1 cup of coconut butter, softened in microwave until creamy
- 1 cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 16 oz chocolate chips
- 2 cups coconut cream
- For cake: In bowl combine flour, cacao powder, salt and baking soda. In larger bowl, blend eggs, honey butter and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet and blend to combine. Line. Oil baking pans with coconut oil and pour in batter until ¾ full. Bake 325 low fan until toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients until well combined. Refrigerate to firm up slightly and mix again with hand mixer until fluffy.
- Heat coconut cream in a saucepan until simmering. Pour chocolate chips into the boiling cream and turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove lid and whisk to incorporate melted chips into cream thoroughly. Let sit for a few minutes to thicken slightly.
- After cake has cooled, take a round cutter and cut round cupcake shapes out of it. Set up on a wire rack over a sheet tray. Fill a piping bag with the vanilla filling. Put a round tip on piping bag, and insert tip right into the center of the top of each cake, and pipe in a few tablespoons of filling. Once they are all filled take a ladle and ladle the ganache thoroughly over each cake to coat thoroughly. Once coated, place in the refrigerator for a few minutes to firm them up.