This portobello mushroom recipe delivers a lot of flavor without a lot of effort. It is a hearty and rich, and flavored with italian sausage, fennel, garlic and tons of other spices!
Unstuffed Portobello Mushroom Recipe
A delicious portobello mushroom mixed with italian sausage, fresh spices and tender veggies.
Write a review
- cauliflower - 1 small head, about 12 ounces trimmed
- portobello mushrooms - 2, cleaned with gills removed
- carrots - 2 medium, roughly chopped
- onion - 1/2 small, roughly chopped
- bulk Italian sausage - 1 pound
- fennel seed - 1 Tbsp
- sea salt - 1/2 tsp or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper - 1/4 tsp or to taste
- fat of choice: grassfed butter, ghee, coconut oil, lard, etc. - 2 Tbsp, liquified
- garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- flat-leaf Italian parsley - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- fresh basil leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place cauliflower in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until it resembles rice. Transfer to a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Repeat step 2 with mushrooms, carrots, and onions. Add each one to the baking sheet, stirring to combine the vegetables.
- Sprinkle with fennel, salt, and pepper, then drizzle with fat (I used lard but coconut oil would work well.). Toss gently to combine.
- Place baking sheet in oven. Use a folded dish towel to prop the oven door open slightly so that the moisture is released.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until mixture is fragrant and cauliflower is toasted.
- While the vegetables cook, saute sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- When veggies are done, remove them from the oven and transfer them to the skillet with the sausage. Add parsley and basil and stir gently over low heat until all ingredients are well combined.
- Divide into shallow bowls and serve.
Paleo on the Go Test Kitchen http://blog.paleoonthego.com/
Recipe submitted by the always awesome Paleo Table.
Scope them out for great paleo resources, meal plan ideas, and tasty recipes!